Monday, August 19, 2013

Edible, Home Made Hair Gel

Now I have to admit before I get into the how of this, I started doing it purely because I'm so in love with my dog.  He's got a little bit of the devil in him though, which even his trainer in puppy class acknowledged.  And of course, he looks like a dog version of a teddy bear-- no hint of the will and iffy attitude that lurks under the dewy eyes and shaggy coat.  So for graduation from puppy class, I gave him a blue mo-hawk.  It was that or a pair of red devil's horns, and the mo-hawk seemed like a better choice for many reasons.

Now I'm sure it makes sense why it had to be edible and entirely non-toxic.

So if you're nutty enough to style your dog, this is an easy win for you.  It would also work well on children of all ages, since you don't have to be worried about toxicity, even if they lick it.

Here's how to do it:

  1. Warm one cup of water in the microwave or kettle.
  2. If you want to have a colored gel, add your coloring to the water at this stage and mix thorougly.  I used food coloring, but natural, food based colors should work well also.  Just be careful of anything red on light hair!  Red has a tendency to glom on and last longer than you might want.
  3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin and mix thoroughly.  If you do not have the desired consistency, add another 1/4 teaspoon of gelatin at a time until you get there.  

Poof!  That's it.

Here's Max's picture from this experiment.
Wasn't he a cute little guy?

It should wash out easily, though I've never had a chance to test it.  Max's doggy friends chewed all of his out of his do.


No comments:

Post a Comment