Thursday, October 17, 2013

Feature: Green Line by K

This is something I've been wanting to do since I started the blog, and today is the first time I shall finally do it!  I'm very excited to share with you a clothing designer who uses natural, sustainable, organic fibers to make ecofriendly yoga and modern bohemian fashion for women.  Kathryn was kind enough to share some of her thoughts on design and hand made with me, but I'll start this off by letting one of her favorite pieces do the talking.

The ultra feminine backless linen dress.
Gorgeous, isn't it?  Kathryn began her career with an apprenticeship to an Italian tailor at sixteen years of age.  Her first love was design, which she was later able to study.  Kathryn describes her style as having a "very clean line and feminine drape".

Kathryn at work.

Kathryn begins her work with a "feeling for a garment or collection".  From this comes the sketches, which her assistant may help with, and then she begins the hunt for swatches and fabric.  She creates her patterns through draping or flat patterning techniques, depending on the complexity of the garment, and then goes on to the cutting, sewing, and fitting.

The gorgeous drape of the wrap maxi dress.

I asked Kathryn why handmade was important to her.  This was her response.  "Handmade products are important to me on many different levels.  Handmade means love and thought.  Handmade means a job for someone.  Handmade means unique and original.  Handmade, to me, means an expression of my art."  To me, this is a perfect way to describe the special value of handmade objects.

Yoga wrap pants in organic cotton.

A final word from Kathryn: "The most important thing I'd like to convey is that I am passionate about making environmentally responsible decisions, and about making socially conscious decisions.  I am partnered with my local Habitat for Humanity Chapter and give back through the sale of my Participate Eco Tees.  I source from local distributors whose business practices I admire.  I hope to be able to make a difference in this great, big world of ours.  Even if it's only a small one.  Every little bit adds up."

If you want to find Kathryn and Green Line by K to learn more about her work, here is a list of places to find her online.
www.custommade.com/by/greenlinebyk 
www.greenlinebyk.55g.stanfordrow.com 
www.zibbet.com/GreenLinebyK
www.etsy.com/shop/GreenLinebyK 
Also, Facebook--  www.facebook.com/GreenLinebyK
And Twitter-- twitter.com/grenlinbyk


2 comments:

  1. A huge thank you to you, Kerith! Thank you so much for helping to spread the word and promote handmade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so thrilled to be able to feature your shop, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete