Saturday, October 12, 2013

Weekend Project: DIY Braided Belt

Check out this fabulously simple project from Delia Creates.


I'm in love with these, and I've been meaning to make one for myself for weeks now.  I wish this weekend would be the weekend it happens, but I have a terrible feeling I won't be able to squeeze out even the half hour I'd need.  I love that these would have a little stretch to them, so they'd give and move with you much better than a leather belt.

I would suggest a couple of small changes though.  First, when you are preparing your knit strips, I would attach them to the D rings before starting to braid.  You'll get a smoother attachment that way, without such a thick lump.  Then you can just park the D rings with fabric attached under your weighted object and braid away.  The second thing I would adjust would be to add a small piece of the same fabric to finish the end, by just wrapping it around the stitched bits where the braiding is all secured.  It'll make a more professional finish, I think.

Can't wait to try this out for myself!  Wish me luck that I can get to it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment