Friday, September 20, 2013

Fashion Week: London

Perhaps it's because I don't really like traditional styles.  Maybe I've just never been an Anglophile.  But British fashion is usually a bit of a yawn to me, and this year's London fashion week was no exception.  I only found a few things worth mentioning, so this will be a quicky and then in my next posts we'll be on to Milan.  (Which I lovelovelove their fashion week, by the way, so it will have to be another multi part series.  At this rate I'll be blogging about fashion week until it starts up again for next season.)

So one thing I usually love from British designers is the tailoring, and this suit from L'Wren Scott is no exception.  Beautiful lines, really flattering, and perhaps best of all for someone like me, it immediately gives me ideas for restyles.  Opening up a sleeve to mimic this is no sweat.  Recutting and shaping the collar could be doable with the right jacket to start from.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to see a way to get that elegant, minimalist draping across the bust from a restyle.  I suppose you could start from a jacket that is about 2-3 sizes too large and just recut the entire thing, but at that point it's easier to just make a new jacket probably.

The discreet mix of prints and conservative use of sheers in this look from Temperley London is pretty fantastic, and definitely inspirational to me.    The lines of this outfit are a bit dull, but the other elements make up for it.  Wearable?  Probably not for me, because I think it would make me look too old.  For someone younger and thinner, sure.  And this could serve as a starting place for dreaming up a look for myself that wouldn't age me 10 years.

I don't love every Vivienne Westwood collection, but this woman is a modern genius of couture as far as I'm concerned.  Most of this collection wasn't so much for me, but I did like the idea of this piece.  Great option for a refashion, right?

Last one, I promise.  This is a fun skirt, right?  And it would be relatively easy to make, though not probably doable as a restyle.  Just think pencil skirt + two triangles in one side seam.  I'd probably use a drapier fabric though.  This one is a bit too stiff to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment