Sunday, September 29, 2013

Milan Fashion Week Part Three: Dolce and Gabbana

Whenever I talk about Dolce and Gabbana I have an urge to say "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" about a zillion times, like I'm sixteen all over again.  I can't help it, I'm a fan girl.  Let's get down to it though, cause this latest collection is everything I've come to expect from them.

This collection is what finally sold me on the return of the pencil skirt.  Burberry did it half to death in London, but Burberry bores me to tears.  All it made me do was dig in my heels and resist.  When D&G tackles the same cut, they manage to do it eclectically, with a sense of fun.  And check the way the hem flares just enough to create some great movement on this one.  I suppose that technically makes this a tulip skirt, but I'm not in the mood to be technical.

This sleeve shape appeared in a lot of collections so far, beyond Milan too.  I really love the way D&G has done it in lace here, to soften it and make it more easily wearable for those of us who are not a size 0.  Also, the lace version of this sleeve would be totally do-able as an addition to a thrifted blouse or t-shirt.  

Even fuller version of the same sleeve, growing to be a full fledged angel wing style.  On this dress, with the careful mix of pattern and lace, it totally works.  And this mix of the fabric and lace is killing me with how great it is.

Y'all knew I wouldn't be able to resist this one, I'm sure.  Hi, favorite things.  I love you, wide colorful embroidery.  I love you, contrast of white with color.  I love you, heavy lace.

I've been saving what is the most inspiring for last, but if you review the other pictures I've selected, you'll see it repeated throughout the collection.  Hand painted motifs.  Sweet baby Jebus, Dolce and Gabbana, I was convinced I would never hand paint fabric again.  So much time involved to do it well, and it's so fussy to clean then.  But just look at how divine the prints and fabrics in this collection are.  Imagine how well some hand painting could dress up a bland thrift store find.  The big ole belt on this is kind of fun too, and D&G have definitely inspired me to rediscover my love of funky vintage belts.


No comments:

Post a Comment