Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Milan Fashion Week Part Two

There's just so much to love about Milan fashion week.  I'm going to try really hard to keep this to two parts, but it may grow into three.  Prepare to cheer for my self restraint if I can stop talking about Milan with this post.

The draping on this dress is just pure flippin' gorgeous.  Missoni must have been looking at saris lately, because this draping is repeated throughout the collection.  I adore it and feel sure I will be compelled to copy it sometime soon.  I think this is arguably the best take on the pencil skirt this season.  By combining a very safe, traditional choice with something distinctly out of the ordinary for western fashion, Missoni has reinvented two garments that are worthy on their own and elevated them to a new state.

Speaking of gorgeous draping, check this skirt from Etro.  I'm not sure I could pull this off since I'm not as thin as I used to be, but I love the easy elegance of this.  The mixed prints aren't killing me either.  This one is a potential restyle project as well-- you could piece a couple of dupattas or large scarves to get this effect.

The Etro collection had the most luscious color, as exemplified by this dress.  Gorgeous, light, flowing fabrics with just the right amount of color dissonance and the sort of wild pattern I adore.  Plus the scarf they used to style this look is a dream, and I love how it works with the dress and how modestly feminine the entire look is.  

This look from Blumarine made me remember a style I'd forgotten I love: rock and roll.  They have me inspired to explore it again though.  Plus I'm loving the pants and may be compelled to copy them.


Another little piece of rock and roll inspiration from Emilio Pucci here, with another great pair of pants.  Check that jacket.  Isn't she calling out to you to be a thrift store restyle?  Just be careful if you haven't worked sequins before.  They're usually chainstitched on in rows, so you'll have to secure each row individually anywhere that you cut the sequinned fabric.

And here is where all my favorite things come together, thanks to Roberto Cavalli.  Bohemian rocker chic, with lots of fringe, a little metallic, and easy, drapey fabrics and shapes.  This and a vintage shawl I own have me about 75% convinced that I'm going to have to make something for myself with a whack load of hand tied fringe.

Believe it or not, this is what self restraint looks like in my world, but I'm still going to have to do one more post on Milan to talk about Dolce and Gabbana.  They're awesome.  Geniuses.  I can't possibly pick just one look and say only a few sentences about all the glorious things that are right with their latest collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment